Sunday, June 21, 2015

Norfolk

This is my last day in the Norfolk/Portsmouth area. I'm really looking forward to getting under sail again.

One of the great blessings of this stay was reconnecting with one of my two best friends from high school, Colin McKinnon. Colin, Craig Goodrich and I were inseparable. Over at the girl's school they called us the "three C's". I loved those guys and loved hanging out with them. Lots of great memories.

I hadn't seen Colin in about thirty years. A planned reunion last year was undermined by jury duty. So spending some time with him and his family this past week has been a real treat. He looks terrific and has built a wonderful life here in Norfolk.

I was so happy to see what a great family and great life he has here. It was what you would hope for someone you care about and who played a big part in your own life years before. What a blessing!

Last night I left Heartsong in a marina and spent the night at the home of another great friend, Ralph Herbert. A real bed! And when a thunderstorm rolled through I didn't have to get up, shut all the portals and make sure the anchor wasn't dragging. It was luxurious.

Ralph just got back from a trip to South Africa, and later today another friend, Paul Gaug, who has been part of our pastors covenant group going all the way back to our years in Cleveland, arrives from Long Island. The three of us will spend the night on the boat, and then early tomorrow start our trip up the coast.